Sunday, June 6, 2010

All Good Things..

I can't believe that today is my last day in Southeast Asia. Blogging when I first got to Singapore really seems like a long time ago- especially because we've done so much between then and now. On Wednesday we went to Young and Rubicam which is a company that works in advertising, public relations, etc. Thursday and Friday were filled with another meeting, walking around the city, and shopping. On Saturday we went to the Chatuchak Weekend Market which is just massive- it covers 35 acres and has more than 15,000 stalls. It was definitely easy to get lost inside. Yesterday we went to visit the mall that was set on fire during the protests. We noticed bullet holes everywhere- even where we were walking. After that we got some lunch, shopped a bit, and then came back to relax and grab dinner.

You really get used to the Asian culture when you are around it for so long. You get used to not having trash cans, napkins, or benches anywhere. You get used to the fact that they never bring all the food out at the same time. And you get used to using their currency. I think in each place that we stayed it took a little time to get used to the currency. For example, in Thailand 1 baht is around 30 American dollars. So for them, it's normal to see things that are 1,000 (in baht), which for us is only about $30. But my mind is constantly working to figure out how much everything is and for the most part everything is much cheaper. But I really have enjoyed Bangkok- it's easy to get around using the sky train and it's a great city with a lot of history to it.

While I'm sad to leave Southeast Asia in general, I will be glad to get home and let my body adjust to the time difference...again. My flight leaves at 5:30am tomorrow morning (that's around 6:30 pm back in the states. We are scheduled to get back home at 6:30pm on Tuesday. Stephanie and I will most likely just stay in the airport tonight since we would have to be there at 3:30 anyway, and leave at 2:30 to get there. We might catch a movie today, get a little more shopping done, and then have a big dinner with everyone.

I know I've definitely made friends that I'll never forget. It's been an amazing trip and definitely the best experience I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment